AUGUSTA, Ga. – Luke Donald isn’t the superstitious type, but it’s still not worth taking any chances.
The world No. 1 announced on Tuesday that he won’t play the Par 3 Contest on Wednesday at Augusta National. Donald won the Par 3 last year and finished tied for fourth in the Masters, continuing the jinx of Par 3 winners in the tournament proper.
“Last year I had a goal of winning both (the Par 3 and Masters),” Donald said. “But this year I decided not to play the Par 3.”
Although Donald said his decision had nothing to do with the curse, the Englishman has learned over the last 14 months that he doesn’t need his best game to win. It’s a simple reality that has also changed his outlook on the year’s first major.
“Having a good short game is important around here and guys that putt well will do well and that’s the strength of my game,” said Donald, who has three top-10 finishes in eight Masters starts. “I’ve won five times in the last 14 months and didn’t have my best game in at least four of them.”