Donald picks up his 2011 hardware ... barely
- By Randall Mell
- Feb 21, 2012 6:23 PM ET
“Jack needs to lose some weight,” Donald cracked.
The Nicklaus Trophy is presented to the PGA Tour Player of the Year, as voted by the players. Donald also was presented the Arnold Palmer Award as the leading money winner, the Byron Nelson Award for having the low scoring average and the Mark McCormack Award for reigning the longest at No. 1.
Donald said winning the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship last year paved the way to his trophy haul. The Accenture was the first of his four worldwide titles in 2011.
“Probably the most important [victory],” Donald said of his 2011 run. “I think without winning here that maybe some of the other wins wouldn’t have been possible. It really restored some of my confidence in myself and proved to myself that I could win again.”
Donald meets Ernie Els at 2:05 p.m. ET Wednesday in Accenture’s first round.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process