Early bird: Wilson starts season hot, as usual
- By Jason Sobel
- Jan 7, 2013 5:35 PM ET
KAPALUA, Hawaii – Mark Wilson has a habit of getting off to quick early-season starts. This one is even quicker than usual.
Two years ago, Wilson won the Sony Open in his first start of the year; last year, he won the Humana Challenge in his third. This year? He opened with a 4-under 69 to claim a share of the opening-round lead at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions.
“It was a good start,” he said after the round. “Just kind of trying to be patient with the wind and hitting some weird clubs with different yardages and stuff, played conservative. I made some nice par putts early on in those tough holes on the back nine that get most of the wind.”
Wilson didn’t have much time to reflect on the score. The second round began for players less than an hour after they finished the first round.
- Woods pulls out of AT&T with strained elbow
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a friend
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path