Early bird: Wilson starts season hot, as usual
- By Jason Sobel
- Jan 7, 2013 5:35 PM ET
KAPALUA, Hawaii – Mark Wilson has a habit of getting off to quick early-season starts. This one is even quicker than usual.
Two years ago, Wilson won the Sony Open in his first start of the year; last year, he won the Humana Challenge in his third. This year? He opened with a 4-under 69 to claim a share of the opening-round lead at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions.
“It was a good start,” he said after the round. “Just kind of trying to be patient with the wind and hitting some weird clubs with different yardages and stuff, played conservative. I made some nice par putts early on in those tough holes on the back nine that get most of the wind.”
Wilson didn’t have much time to reflect on the score. The second round began for players less than an hour after they finished the first round.
Golf Channel's coverage of the 2013 Web.com Tour season gets underway Thursday with live, four-round coverage of the BMW Charity Pro-Am Read More
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'wrong, hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia apologizes for 'fried chicken' remark
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth