Watching the final round today, I can't help but root for Ernie Els to have a big final push. In the media we're not supposed to root for the players, but instead the story. Els is one of the game's classiest players. He's been asked more Tiger Woods questions over the years than any of the top players and he's always handled it like a champion.
True, no player is "owed" a major championship, but I hope Ernie's not done. He had a great chance at a PGA at Riviera years ago when Steve Elkington won it on Sunday and he's had a few chances at the Masters. Most notably the one earned by Phil Mickelson's back nine charge.
Els told me at the Masters once that since he was a little boy growing up in South Africa he "dreamed of winning the Masters." He might still get one but at this point in his career he'd take any major he could get. Catching Woods will be tough. I hope Ernie has a great day.
The game's more fun with the Big Easy in the mix.
One of Golf Channel's originals, Kann has been part of Golf Channel's on-air team since 1995.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process