Europeans look to single out Yanks to end streak
- By Randall Mell
- Sep 21, 2011 8:46 AM ET
DUNSANY, Ireland – The Americans have won three consecutive Solheim Cups, but the Europeans are actually making more a habit of winning lately.
The Euros arrived at Killeen Castle with 12 LPGA and Ladies European Tour titles this year.
The Americans have won just three titles. Norway’s Suzann Pettersen and Sweden’s Caroline Hedwall have each won that many times this season.
Laura Davies was asked how this European team compares to the 11 others she’s played on.
“I think it’s strong from player one to player 12,” she said. “Suzann Pettersen would be the standout. But with the rest of us, on any given day, you could throw a blanket over us. We’re all good players, and now we can take the Americans into singles.
“Finally, we’ve got 12 that can stand toe to toe in the singles and really have a crack at it.”
The Americans have won singles by a cumulative score of 24-12 during their run of three consecutive Solheim Cup victories.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Byron Nelson final round
- SCORING: Bradley starts with lead | LPGA Mobile
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bradley leads Nelson by 1 | At a glance
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Chella Choi leads Mobile; Nordqvist fires 61
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- No. 1 Cal (11 wins) headlines 30-team NCAA field
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play