Wagner comes from behind to win Sony Open
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jan 15, 2012 10:02 PM ET
Trailing co-leaders Matt Every and Jeff Maggert by two shots entering the final round of the Sony Open in Hawaii, Johnson Wagner overcame a rocky start to win the for the third time on the PGA Tour.
With a final round 3-under 67, Wagner won at Waialae by two shots over Charles Howell III, Carl Pettersson, Sean O’Hair and Harrison Frazar.
Every and Maggert both faded on Sunday, shooting 72 and 74, respectively. Every finished tied for sixth at 10-under with Michael Thompson, Brian Gay and D.A. Points.
Brendon de Jonge, David Hearn and John Rollins finished tied for 10th, four shots back of Wagner. Rollins made a huge move on Sunday, soaring 41 spots with a final round 64 in tough scoring conditions.
Last week’s winner, Steve Stricker, also finished poorly. His closing 74 left him at 4-under and tied for 38th.
- LIVE STREAM: Senior PGA Championship, Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW opener
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly