Five players named to '12 U.S. Curtis Cup team
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Dec 21, 2011 12:15 PM ET
The handful of players include Amy Anderson, 19, of Oxbow, N.D.; Lindy Duncan, 20, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Austin Ernst, 19, of Seneca, S.C.; Tiffany Lua, 20, of Rowland Heights, Calif.; and Brooke Pancake, 21, of Chattanooga, Tenn.
The three remaining players on the eight-player squad will be announced in January.
Duncan finished as the low amateur at the 2011 U.S. Women's Open, representing Duke. Anderson, a junior at North Dakota State University, won the 2009 U.S. Girls’ Junior and was the fourth-best amateur at the ’11 Women’s Open.
Ernst, a sophomore at LSU, won the 2011 NCAA Championship – the first freshman to do so in 13 years. She was a semifinalist at the 2011 U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship. Pancake was also a semifinalist and is in her senior season at Alabama.
Lua helped lead the UCLA women's golf team to the '11 NCAA team championship.
All five players finished within the top 20 at the 2011 NCAA Division I Championship. Duncan, Ernst and Pancake were named to the 2011 NGCA All-American first team, while Anderson and Lua received second-team honors.
In the biennial matches against GB&I, the U.S. has a record of 27-6-3. The U.S. has won the last seven matches, including the 2010 match at Essex County Club in Manchester-by-the-Sea, Mass., by a score of 12.5-7.5.
For the second time in his tenure as Commander-in-Chief, President Barack Obama will serve as Honorary Chairman when the Presidents Cup returns to the U.S. this fall. Read More
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Perry takes Senior PGA lead into Day 4 | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Moreno leads by one in Bahamas LPGA | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots