CHASKA, Minn. – Fred Couples has a busy October, but it won’t include his Champions Tour debut.
Couples turns 50 on Oct. 3 and leads the Americans against the Internationals at Harding Park in San Francisco as captain of the U.S. Presidents Cup team Oct. 8-11.
While there’s speculation he’ll make his Champions Tour debut at the Administaff Small Business Classic at The Woodlands Oct. 16-18 because of his Houston ties, Couples said Friday night that he’s going to hold off on his debut until next year. He plans to make his start at the Mitsubishi Electric in Hawaii in January. Couples also plans to keep playing PGA Tour events.
With his tender back always an issue, he said he would like to balance out his schedule to where he plays a combination of 15 to 16 PGA Tour and Champions Tour events. He said he plans to play all the senior majors.
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae