Golf Channel’s resident joker Charlie Rymer told me to pick Tommy "Two Gloves" Gainey this week. His reasoning, of course, "It’s going to be cold out there and his hands will be warm.”
I laughed, looked at the stats (it’s his first time in the event and he’s missed the cut in all three of his starts this year) and left him off my fantasy team this week.
Instead I took Phil Mickelson, Ryan Moore and D.A. Points. And, as I write this, all three are under par, but who’s leading the tournament? The man with two gloves and hot hands!
Meanwhile, across the Atlantic Markus Brier, who ranks 478th in the world, leads the Commercialbank Qatar Masters. He’s in the field on a sponsor’s exemption after retaining his European Tour card by making a trip back to Q-School in November.
World No. 1 Lee Westwood missed the cut and last week’s winner in Bahrain, Paul Casey, also has the weekend off from a 5-over-par showing. John Daly did make the cut but is eight shots off the lead – but that’s two better than world No. 2 Martin Kaymer, who has a chance to overtake the top spot with a solo second or better this week, which isn't looking all that likely since he stands T-57, with a lot of desert ground to make up.
Considering these oddities of who should be playing well and who is playing well – as Charlie would say, “Who would've thunk it?”
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Perry takes Senior PGA lead into Day 4 | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Moreno leads by one in Bahamas LPGA | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots