Sittin' on the JetBlue heading home from Orlando, looking for something to watch on TV, I come across the Gatorade Duel at Daytona, which must be NASCAR's version of the Par-3 Contest the day before the start of the Masters.
Anyway, some dude is just killing the Star Spangled Banner right before all these guys get in their cars and drive like we do in the northeast. I'm telling you, every driver has his right hand on his heart. Half the crowd is singing along, and I'm thinking....
Golf needs to figure out a way to work Francis Scott Key into the mix. It ain't American sport if it doesn't start with the national anthem.
Hawkins is a contributing writer with more than two decades of journalism experience.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path