Sittin' on the JetBlue heading home from Orlando, looking for something to watch on TV, I come across the Gatorade Duel at Daytona, which must be NASCAR's version of the Par-3 Contest the day before the start of the Masters.
Anyway, some dude is just killing the Star Spangled Banner right before all these guys get in their cars and drive like we do in the northeast. I'm telling you, every driver has his right hand on his heart. Half the crowd is singing along, and I'm thinking....
Golf needs to figure out a way to work Francis Scott Key into the mix. It ain't American sport if it doesn't start with the national anthem.
Hawkins is a contributing writer with more than two decades of journalism experience.
- LIVE STREAM: Senior PGA Championship, Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly