Goosen fires 3 under despite lingering back issues
- By Jason Sobel
- Aug 2, 2012 1:07 PM ET
AKRON, Ohio – Retief Goosen opened with a 3-under 67 at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational on Thursday, which is even more impressive when you consider his current health.
“About 5 out of 10,” he said of lingering back issues. “I am struggling to keep the muscles from firing down in the lower back. It's been a struggle the last year definitely.”
The two-time U.S. Open champion said the problem is an L3‑L4 degenerating disk. He’s received diagnoses from numerous doctors and is seeking a long-term option that won’t include surgery.
For now, he’s forced to deal with the pain.
“It is a struggle to sleep properly and to get going in the mornings, to warm up,” he continued. “And yeah, I'm losing a lot of distance out there on the golf course. I can't quite go at it as hard as I would like to.”
- Garcia apologizes to Woods; comment 'stupid'
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Colonial | Tee times
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Inaugural Bahamas LPGA event deluged by rain
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Clark on anchor ban: 'Not going to roll over'
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air