Score one for Twitter. Jason Gore has been given a sponsor exemption into the Northern Trust Open, Feb. 16-19 at Riviera CC near Los Angeles.
As reported by GolfChannel.com's Jason Sobel, a Gore tweet saying he’d love to get a sponsor exemption into the Northern Trust, the “hometown” tournament for the southern California resident, was turned into a Twitter campaign by fan Eric Magidson.
Multitudes of tweets were sent to the tournament account, @NTrustOpen, as well as to Gore in support of the effort. LPGA player Christina Kim became a cheerleader for the cause, leveraging her 28,000 followers to spread the word. Among Gore's peers, Geoff Ogilvy, Pat Perez and D.A. Points echoed support.
The tournament clearly got the message.
“Jason’s record and his strong local ties to Southern California put him on Northern Trust Corporation’s short list for a sponsor’s exemption since last year,” tournament executive director Jerry West said in a release. “We are all pleased to see that his many fans on Twitter agreed that he is deserving of this exemption. We look forward to seeing all of Jason’s fans, which we are dubbing Gore’s Gallery, at the tournament next month at Riviera.”
Gore will be making his seventh start at Riviera. In his six prior starts, he has made the cut three times with his best finish coming as a T-14 in 2008.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path