Score one for Twitter. Jason Gore has been given a sponsor exemption into the Northern Trust Open, Feb. 16-19 at Riviera CC near Los Angeles.
As reported by GolfChannel.com's Jason Sobel, a Gore tweet saying he’d love to get a sponsor exemption into the Northern Trust, the “hometown” tournament for the southern California resident, was turned into a Twitter campaign by fan Eric Magidson.
Multitudes of tweets were sent to the tournament account, @NTrustOpen, as well as to Gore in support of the effort. LPGA player Christina Kim became a cheerleader for the cause, leveraging her 28,000 followers to spread the word. Among Gore's peers, Geoff Ogilvy, Pat Perez and D.A. Points echoed support.
The tournament clearly got the message.
“Jason’s record and his strong local ties to Southern California put him on Northern Trust Corporation’s short list for a sponsor’s exemption since last year,” tournament executive director Jerry West said in a release. “We are all pleased to see that his many fans on Twitter agreed that he is deserving of this exemption. We look forward to seeing all of Jason’s fans, which we are dubbing Gore’s Gallery, at the tournament next month at Riviera.”
Gore will be making his seventh start at Riviera. In his six prior starts, he has made the cut three times with his best finish coming as a T-14 in 2008.
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots