Horse for a course: Howell contends at Sony again
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jan 13, 2012 9:57 PM ET
Charles Howell III has finished everywhere in the top five at the Sony Open in Hawaii, except for first. Once again, the Augusta, Ga., native is in position to raise the Waialae trophy. After a second consecutive 3-under 67, Howell III trails Matt Every by four shots.
Despite more than a half-decade of success in the first full-field event of the season, Howell III cannot seem to explain why he fares so well in Honolulu.
“I don't know actually because I generally like golf courses that are bigger, where you can hit a bunch of drivers and things of that nature. I really don't know,” he said after his second round.
While the course does not necessarily suit his eye, sheer excitement may explain his success.
“Partly because it's this time of the year,” he said. “I enjoy practicing in the offseason. I'm excited to get back. I really don't know, but for whatever reason, I do seem to like it. It might be in my best interest to find out why.”
Golf Channel's coverage of the 2013 Web.com Tour season gets underway Thursday with live, four-round coverage of the BMW Charity Pro-Am Read More
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae