CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Driver-5-iron, as simple as that. At least that’s how J.B. Holmes characterized his double eagle on Saturday at Quail Hollow’s rolling par-5 15th hole.
“You hit one like that you’re just hoping for it to be up there around 4 or 5 feet. I saw it bounce and I thought when it hit the ground maybe it could be a little bit long but then everybody started cheering,” Holmes said.
For the record, Holmes’ drive flew 344 yards and he had 213 yards uphill to the hole. It was his first double eagle and he followed it with a 24-foot birdie putt at the 16th hole to post a 7-under 65 and move into a tie for 10th place.
“It’s a 2,” Holmes smiled.
Tags: J B Holmes
J.B. Holmes' brain surgery Thursday at Johns Hopkins Hospital was a success, where doctors relieved pressure on the cerebellum and brain stem that had been caused by Chiari malformations. Read More
Webb Simpson, J.B. Holmes and Steve Marino are among five alternates who can book a trip to the British Open. Read More
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth