Johnson won the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial by one shot over Dufner, finishing at 12 under par. The '07 Masters champion shot even-par 70 on Sunday.
Johnson incurred a two-stroke penalty on the final hole after moving his marker a putter-head but failing to move it back into its original spot after replacing it before he stroked his final putt.
Dufner made a triple-bogey seven at No. 15 after putting his approach in the water hazard. That left Dufner four behind with three to play.
The Auburn product also found the water at No. 9 en route to 4-over 74.
The win is the eighth on the PGA Tour for Johnson and the first since his win here in 2010.
- LIVE STREAM: BMW PGA Championship, Round 3
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots