Kim surges into mix on Day 2 of LPGA Q-School
- By Randall Mell
- Nov 29, 2012 5:45 PM ET
Humbled but unbowed in her first Q-School appearance, two-time LPGA winner Christina Kim fired a 5-under-par 67 Thursday to surge into third place through the second round of the LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament at LPGA International in Daytona Beach.
Moriya Jutanugarn, the 18-year-old from Thailand, took sole possession of the lead with a 66, the day’s low round. She’s at 10-under 134, three shots ahead of Lacey Agnew (67) and five ahead of Kim.
Kim, 28, posted a bogey-free round. She first earned LPGA membership finishing second on the Symetra Tour money list in '02, but while battling through depression this year slumped to a career-worst 110th on the LPGA money list. It forced her first trip to Q-School.
"When I was younger, after I got my card on the Symetra Tour, I vowed that I would never have to go to Q-School,” Kim said. “I would now say that nobody should be that arrogant."
"But now that I’m here, it has a very unique atmosphere. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity that everyone should do at least once . . . just once."
Chie Arimura, the Japan LPGA Tour standout who is No. 19 in the Rolex World Rankings, shot 71 and is tied for seventh among seven players that include two-time LPGA winner Laura Diaz (71). Four-time Ladies European Tour winner Melissa Reid has a lot of work left to earn LPGA membership. She shot 76 Thursday and is tied for 108th.
The top 20 following Sunday’s final round will earn Category 12 status on the LPGA next year, status that amounts to full tour membership. Players finishing 21st through 45th and ties will earn access through Category 17.
Tags: Christina Kim
Thai teen Moriya Jutanugarn and Canada's Rebecca Lee-Bentham shared medalist honors in Sunday's conclusion of the LPGA Qualifying Tournament in Daytona Beach. Read More
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae