ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. – To be clear, Davis Love III is not anchoring that belly putter he is wielding this week at , nor is it even his.
The putter belongs to Brian Bateman, who left the implement in his manager’s office and set up Love’s transition to “something different.”
Love put the putter in play during Monday’s pro-am at Sea Island Resort at the urging of his brother, Mark, and currently ranks first in putts per greens in regulation and is tied for second place one stroke behind frontrunner Arjun Atwal.
“After the British (Open) last year I asked Mark, ‘What am I going do?’” said Love, who has posted rounds of 65-66. “He just wanted me to try something with a different look.”
Love said the putter is just long enough to sit below his shirt and that it’s the weight, not the extended shaft, that has helped. He made eight birdies with it during Monday’s pro-am and does not have a three-putt through two tournament rounds.
“I hope Brian doesn’t think I stole it,” Love said.
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Uihlein gets first pro win at Madeira | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae