ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. – To be clear, Davis Love III is not anchoring that belly putter he is wielding this week at , nor is it even his.
The putter belongs to Brian Bateman, who left the implement in his manager’s office and set up Love’s transition to “something different.”
Love put the putter in play during Monday’s pro-am at Sea Island Resort at the urging of his brother, Mark, and currently ranks first in putts per greens in regulation and is tied for second place one stroke behind frontrunner Arjun Atwal.
“After the British (Open) last year I asked Mark, ‘What am I going do?’” said Love, who has posted rounds of 65-66. “He just wanted me to try something with a different look.”
Love said the putter is just long enough to sit below his shirt and that it’s the weight, not the extended shaft, that has helped. He made eight birdies with it during Monday’s pro-am and does not have a three-putt through two tournament rounds.
“I hope Brian doesn’t think I stole it,” Love said.
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Perry takes Senior PGA lead into Day 4 | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Moreno leads by one in Bahamas LPGA | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots