MEDINAH, Ill. – One of the traditions of Ryder Cup week is the captain’s gift, which has ranged from china – given by U.S. captain Davis Love III to his team on Tuesday – to mountain bikes, which Tom Lehman doled out in 2006 at The K Club.
Love confirmed to GTC on Wednesday that he also had limited-edition paddleboards made for each member of this year’s team. The paddleboards were built by Hawaii-based board-maker Jimmy Lewis and feature the 2012 Ryder Cup logo.
“We had just 12 made, not 13,” smiled Love, who owns a paddleboard shop near his St. Simons Island, Ga., home.
“Zach (Johnson) is the only one that knows because we hang around a lot together and he knows me pretty well. I told him, ‘I haven’t given you anything dangerous yet. You know I’m going to have to give them something they can get hurt with.’”
On Wednesday at Sea Island Resort Davis Love III hypothetically referred to David Toms as the next U.S. Ryder Cup captain and a reporter playfully pressed him, “Did you just confirm David Toms is the ... Read More
Sunday night at last month’s Ryder Cup was already going to be difficult for the American team, which lost the largest lead on home soil in match history, and having the two squads mix in a post-game ... Read More
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae