MEDINAH, Ill. – One of the traditions of Ryder Cup week is the captain’s gift, which has ranged from china – given by U.S. captain Davis Love III to his team on Tuesday – to mountain bikes, which Tom Lehman doled out in 2006 at The K Club.
Love confirmed to GTC on Wednesday that he also had limited-edition paddleboards made for each member of this year’s team. The paddleboards were built by Hawaii-based board-maker Jimmy Lewis and feature the 2012 Ryder Cup logo.
“We had just 12 made, not 13,” smiled Love, who owns a paddleboard shop near his St. Simons Island, Ga., home.
“Zach (Johnson) is the only one that knows because we hang around a lot together and he knows me pretty well. I told him, ‘I haven’t given you anything dangerous yet. You know I’m going to have to give them something they can get hurt with.’”
On Wednesday at Sea Island Resort Davis Love III hypothetically referred to David Toms as the next U.S. Ryder Cup captain and a reporter playfully pressed him, “Did you just confirm David Toms is the ... Read More
Sunday night at last month’s Ryder Cup was already going to be difficult for the American team, which lost the largest lead on home soil in match history, and having the two squads mix in a post-game ... Read More
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management