Man arrested trying to steal sand at Augusta
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Apr 9, 2012 2:26 PM ET
Masters patrons often cannot leave the grounds of Augusta National without a souvenir. For a 40-year-old Ohio man, his attempt to snag a souvenir landed him in jail.
Clayton Baker of Ohio was arrested by Richmond County sheriff's duputies on Sunday when he tried to go inside the ropes to take sand from a bunker on the course.
Once identified, Baker tried to outrun Augusta National security and sheriff's deputies. He was caught shortly thereafter and charged with disorderly conduct, according to the Augusta Chronicle.
A spokesman for the sheriff's department said Baker had been drinking and intended to put the sand in a Masters souvenir cup.
Tags: Masters Tournament
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots