Matteson tied the low round of the year on the PGA Tour in shooting a bogey-free round of 10-under 61 to take the lead by three shots over Ricky Barnes.
Seven players are tied for third place at 6 under par, including three-time defending champion Steve Stricker. Stricker is joined by Garrigus, Scott Piercy, K.J. Choi, Brian Harman, Luke Guthrie and Gary Christian.
Of the 156 players in the field Thursday, 99 finished under par.
- USGA, R&A announce ban on anchored stroke
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Euro captain McGinley adds pick for 'flexibility'
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae