"I had a bit of a sore head last night. I guess it's just us Irish and the skin not used to this sort of sun," McIlroy remarked after his round in the Dubai desert. "I didn't feel great last night but was much better this morning and felt almost 100 percent out there on the course."
McIlroy had just one bogey on the day to go along with five birdies. His 5-under 67 was enough to pull him into his three-way tie atop the leaderboard as they head into the weekend.
And of course, his recovery was aided by girlfriend and tennis star Caroline Wozniacki.
"Caroline squeezed about five lemons into a glass, and I took that," he explained. "Then I had some vitamins and a mineral drink – it made me feel a little better."
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- SCORING: Bae leads Bradley | LPGA Mobile Bay
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Bradley leads Nelson by 1 | At a glance
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Chella Choi leads Mobile; Nordqvist fires 61
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play