Rory McIlroy’s upcoming equipment change has been one of the hottest topics this off-season, and seemingly everyone has an opinion.
Six-time major winner Nick Faldo, of course, was among the first (and most vocal) to criticize the decision. He said the 23-year-old’s move was “dangerous,” and that he should “stick with the clubs that you know best.”
One player not concerned? McIlroy himself.
He said Tuesday that he has no fears the new equipment will lead to diminished results in 2013.
“No, not at all,” he told reporters in advance of the European Tour’s season-ending DP World Tour Championship in Dubai.
“I think all the manufacturers make great equipment nowadays and it’s all very similar – a lot of them get their clubs made at the same factories. I don’t think it will make any difference.”
This is the final week that McIlroy will play Titleist clubs, after the company announced last month that it would not renew its contract with the Northern Irishman following this season.
It has been widely reported that he will play Nike equipment in 2013 and beyond, after signing a 10-year contract worth at least $200 million, though McIlroy nor his management deal have confirmed the deal.
Said McIlroy, “I’ve started the process of trying a few new things. … I’m still playing with my Titleist clubs, but I’ve tinkered about a little bit with the new ones, enough to feel comfortable going into next season.”
Last week, the world No. 1 missed the cut at the UBS Hong Kong Open and cited fatigue for his poor play. He’s playing this week’s season finale, though much of the suspense has been erased after McIlroy clinched the Race to Dubai title two weeks ago.
Watch Golf Channel coverage of the DP World Tour Championship, Thursday-Sunday, live at 3AM ET with re-airs at 8:30AM.