CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Rory McIlroy made par on his final hole in the third round of the Wells Fargo Championship to post 66. Had it not been for a spectator's butt, his score might have been higher.
McIlroy's tee shot at the par-4 18th was headed right of the fairway toward the trees. Instead, it struck Charlotte resident Ryan Hagadorn directly in the buttocks. His right cheek, to be specific.
"That ball was going in the trees and would have been a lot more difficult," McIlroy said. "It was nice to get a lucky break like that."
To show his gratitude, after McIlroy hit his approach onto the 18th green, he signed the glove and gave it to Hagadorn.
"Sorry! Rory McIlroy"
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae