McIlroy stays up late to watch girlfriend win
- By Rex Hoggard
- Jan 15, 2013 3:00 AM ET
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates – It was a late night for Rory McIlroy and it had little to do with his Monday gala with Nike Golf to officially announce he’d signed an endorsement deal.
After Monday’s event in Abu Dhabi, which had the feel of a rock concert, McIlroy went to his hotel and watched, well into the night, girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki rally to win her first-round match at the Australian Open in three sets.
“She likes to play three sets,” a weary McIlroy smiled on Tuesday at Abu Dhabi Golf Club. “It’s hard but I figured I may as well watch it and put myself out of my stress.”
According to Woniacki, McIlroy went to bed at midnight (local time) and awoke at 3 a.m. to watch the Dane’s match against Germany’s Sabine Lisicki.
“I think I’ve messed up with his sleep a little bit,” she said. “That’s a true fan.”
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | At a glance | Scores
- Korda leads Mobile Bay LPGA through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Guan shoots 70-77, misses first PGA Tour cut
- Poulter out at Volvo | 'Disgusted' with play | Results
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Donald receives MBE from Queen of England
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process