McIlroy stays up late to watch girlfriend win
- By Rex Hoggard
- Jan 15, 2013 3:00 AM ET
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates – It was a late night for Rory McIlroy and it had little to do with his Monday gala with Nike Golf to officially announce he’d signed an endorsement deal.
After Monday’s event in Abu Dhabi, which had the feel of a rock concert, McIlroy went to his hotel and watched, well into the night, girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki rally to win her first-round match at the Australian Open in three sets.
“She likes to play three sets,” a weary McIlroy smiled on Tuesday at Abu Dhabi Golf Club. “It’s hard but I figured I may as well watch it and put myself out of my stress.”
According to Woniacki, McIlroy went to bed at midnight (local time) and awoke at 3 a.m. to watch the Dane’s match against Germany’s Sabine Lisicki.
“I think I’ve messed up with his sleep a little bit,” she said. “That’s a true fan.”
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process