McIlroy to play in The Players Championship
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Apr 17, 2012 4:02 PM ET
Rory McIlroy will compete in the upcoming The Players Championship, the tournament announced Tuesday.
McIlroy has not played in the event at TPC Sawgrass since 2010. He has missed the cut in both of his appearances in the tournament and never broken par at the Stadium Course.
Last year, McIlroy said the host course did not suit his game, as well as his schedule. The Players would have been his fifth consecutive event.
"I don't feel that comfortable on the golf course yet," he said last year. "That doesn't mean that I won't play it next year or the year after, but this year it just didn't really fit."
McIlroy will play the week before as well, teeing it up at the Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow. McIlroy closed with a Sunday 62 to win the title there in 2010.
Hunter Mahan and Carl Pettersson also committed to the tournament, to be played May 10-13.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth