McIlroy training this week with New York Knicks
- By Ryan Lavner
- Sep 10, 2012 12:59 PM ET
This is the PGA Tour’s first dark week since early January, so how will players spend the next seven days before the Sept. 20-23 Tour Championship?
Some will have quality time with their families. Others will hone their games at their home course. A few may even shelve the clubs for a few days.
Suffice to say, Rory McIlroy is taking a bit of a different approach.
This week, the 23-year-old Northern Irishman, fresh off back-to-back victories in the FedEx Cup playoffs, will train with the NBA’s New York Knicks during offseason workouts. McIlroy has the hookup courtesy of his fitness trainer, Steve McGregor, who also works with the Knicks.
Just don’t expect to see clips of McIlroy – at 5-foot-9, 165 pounds – boxing out Amar’e Stoudemire or slithering past Carmelo Anthony.
“We’re doing a bit of track work next week,” McIlroy told reporters Sunday at the BMW Championship. “I think their stride is probably a little longer than mine, but it should be good fun. I’m really looking forward to next week because of that; just to completely get away from golf for a few days and hang out with those guys.”
Note: Watch Rory McIlroy on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" tonight at 12:35 a.m. ET on NBC.
Tags: Rory McIlroy
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path