AUGUSTA, Ga. – Tactical consistency gave way to a bold and boisterous back nine on Saturday for Phil Mickelson and the three-time champion finds himself 18 holes away from another green jacket.
Following a front-nine 36 that featured nine consecutive pars, Lefty scorched the back nine with a 6-under 30 for a third-round 66 and 8-under total, one stroke behind frontrunner Peter Hanson.
Mickelson’s charge was highlighted by an eagle at No. 13 from 25 feet, a towering flop shot from behind the 15th green to 5 feet for a birdie and a walk-off birdie at the last to keep pace with the Swede.
“I love nothing more than to be in the last group on Sunday,” said Mickelson, who was 4 over par through his first 10 holes this week.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch LPGA come down to finish
- LPGA SCORING: Korda in Mobile mix late in Round 4
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae captures Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play