Mickelson grinded to a 73 in Round 1 and said afterward that while standing over the ball he had no idea which direction it was going to go. Still, he shot the 1-over score that included six pars, four birdies, seven bogeys and an eagle.
The first three holes in the second round were uneventful for Mickelson until he four-putted from 5 feet on the par-4 13th hole (his fourth of the day).
Mickelson’s approach from 116 yards was short of the green and ended just in the fringe. He putted from there to 4 feet, 11 inches. The first “official” putt went 5 feet, 1 inch past the hole. The next went 4 feet past the hole. Ultimately, Mickelson made a putt from 3 feet, 1 inch to complete the four-putt and make triple-bogey 7.
“Well, fortunately, they didn’t count the first one out on the fringe,” Mickelson quipped. “Obviously, I played terrible, and I deserved to shoot a score like this.”
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae