Mickelson grinded to a 73 in Round 1 and said afterward that while standing over the ball he had no idea which direction it was going to go. Still, he shot the 1-over score that included six pars, four birdies, seven bogeys and an eagle.
The first three holes in the second round were uneventful for Mickelson until he four-putted from 5 feet on the par-4 13th hole (his fourth of the day).
Mickelson’s approach from 116 yards was short of the green and ended just in the fringe. He putted from there to 4 feet, 11 inches. The first “official” putt went 5 feet, 1 inch past the hole. The next went 4 feet past the hole. Ultimately, Mickelson made a putt from 3 feet, 1 inch to complete the four-putt and make triple-bogey 7.
“Well, fortunately, they didn’t count the first one out on the fringe,” Mickelson quipped. “Obviously, I played terrible, and I deserved to shoot a score like this.”
- Garcia apologizes to Woods; comment 'stupid'
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Colonial | Tee times
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Inaugural Bahamas LPGA event deluged by rain
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Clark on anchor ban: 'Not going to roll over'
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air