Former world No. 1 Lorena Ochoa, who retired in 2010 to focus on her family and charity work, will make a spot start this week at the Ladies European Tour’s French Open.
The event, which begins Thursday at Chantaco Golf Club in Saint-Jean-de-Luz, Aquitaine, is sponsored by Lacoste, which also sponsors Ochoa.
“They asked me to come and play the tournament,” the 30-year-old said in a release. “They actually asked me last year and I couldn’t because I was pregnant.
“I said, ‘I prefer to wait until next year,’ and here I am. I’m very happy to support the tournament.”
Ochoa, who won 27 times on the LPGA tour, including two majors, is also scheduled to play in her own Lorena Ochoa Invitational in Guadalajara in November. But she maintained, as she has for two years, that she has no desire to play a full competitive schedule.
“My life is very different now, so I’ll be relaxed and try to smile out there,” she said. “If I make a mistake, I will be easy on myself.”
Tags: Lorena Ochoa
Premiering Monday, May 13, Big Break Mexico to feature male/female cast at Iberostar Playa Paraiso Resort & Spa. Read More
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Bradley at Byron Nelson
- SCORING: Nelson Day 3 | Volvo: G-Mac in semis
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process