'Old' news: St. Andrews to host 2015 British Open
- By Jay Coffin
- Oct 11, 2011 9:07 AM ET
The only surprise regarding this announcement is that it took so long to be made.
The Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews said Tuesday that the 2015 British Open will return to the Old Course at St. Andrews for the 29th time. It keeps alive the streak of having the Old Course host the British Open every five years, a tradition that began in 1990 when Nick Faldo won the claret jug.
Last year at the British Open at the Old Course, where Louis Oosthuizen won, rumors surfaced that the 2015 event would return to the home of golf. Those rumors continued through this year's Open at Royal St. Georges, and, although nothing was announced, R&A chief Peter Dawson hinted this day would come.
"I would be very surprised if you were surprised at what we announce about 2015," Dawson said then.
Winners at the Old Course include Bobby Jones, Peter Thomson, Jack Nicklaus, Seve Ballesteros and Tiger Woods. Nicklaus ended his British Open career in 2005 at the Old Course.
"St. Andrews has proved time and again that it is perfectly equipped to host the Open and I am certain we will yet again see a worthy winner lift the claret jug," Dawson said. "Players, spectators and officials alike will welcome a return to the game's spiritual home and I fully expect that we will witness another thrilling championship."
Tags: British Open
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process