KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. – European Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal made it clear earlier this week that he wouldn’t be selecting Padraig Harrington as one of his two captain’s picks for the Ryder Cup.
Despite collecting top-10 finishes in the Masters (T-8) and the British Open (T-8), Harrington is nowhere to be found on either European qualifying list. He’s only missed three cuts and has five top-10 finishes in 2012, but Olazabal wasn’t impressed.
“Three weeks left,” Olazabal said Wednesday here at the PGA Championship. “If he really does extraordinarily well, he can have a great chance of making the team still, but it’s going to be up to him.”
Harrington shot 70-76 and stands at 2 over par for the tournament. Following the second round he offered thoughts on Olazabal’s comments.
“I’ve played solid in every event,” he said. “I couldn’t be happier with my form and my game.
“At least it’s clearer in my mind now. I won’t be waiting. I have to do something very good here or next week.”
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Bradley at Byron Nelson
- SCORING: Nelson Day 3 | Volvo: G-Mac in semis
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process