RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. – Morgan Pressel and Lexi Thompson chatted quite a bit in their round together Thursday at the Kraft Nabisco Championship.
Though they grew up in neighboring cities in South Florida, it marked the first time they’ve ever played together, in a tournament round, practice round or any kind of round.
What did they talk about?
“She just keeps breaking my records,” Pressel said. “I give her a hard time about that.”
Thompson, of Coral Springs, shot an even-par 72 in the first round, Pressel a 73.
Pressel, 23, of Boca Raton, became the youngest qualifier to play in a U.S. Women’s Open at 13. Thompson, 17 now, was 12 when she broke the mark.
Pressel was 18 when she became the youngest winner of a major championship at the Kraft Nabisco . Thompson became the youngest winner of any LPGA event at 16.
“I wouldn’t be surprised if she broke my major record as well,” Pressel said. “I don’t know if she’ll do it this week, but she has a year and a half or so to do that yet.”
Pressel was 18 years, 10 months and 9 days old when she won the Kraft Nabisco. Thompson is 17 years, 1 month and 19 days old.
“She hits it a long way,” Pressel said. “I was impressed with her ball striking. She makes such great contact with every shot. She just swings at it. She’s not afraid where it’s going to end up, and I miss that. I miss that youthful naivete. It was fun to see and fun to watch.”
Thompson didn't know Pressel all that well until Pressel asked her to play in her "Morgan and Friends" charity event this past winter.
"We got to know each other better, and we became pretty good friends," she said.
Already well in front in the team competition, the USC Trojans are now on the verge of both team and individual NCAA titles entering the final round of competition at the University of Georgia Golf Co... Read More
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Perry takes Senior PGA lead into Day 4 | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Moreno leads by one in Bahamas LPGA | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots