Following the PGA Championship on Aug. 12, eight players will automatically qualify for the U.S. team, captained by Davis Love III. After the RBC Canadian Open, here are the top eight in the standings (with points earned and last week’s position in the top eight in parentheses):
1. Tiger Woods (5,598.86; 1)
2. Bubba Watson (5,446.48; 2)
3. Jason Dufner (5,383.50; 3)
4. Webb Simpson (4,635.50; 4)
5. Zach Johnson (4,402.54; 5)
6. Matt Kuchar (4,320, 19; 6)
7. Phil Mickelson (4,107.11; 7)
8. Hunter Mahan (4,035.73; 8)
Love also has four wild-card selections he will make in September. Here are some current notables:
9. Keegan Bradley: The next two weeks will be big for Bradley. Not only does he defend the PGA Championship but needs to show he's out of his four-month rut.
10. Rickie Fowler: Fowler took the week off, though seems a lock for a captain's pick because of Love's respect for his Celtic Manor performance.
11. Brandt Snedeker: Snedeker followed a T-3 at the British Open with a T-34 in Canada. His short-game prowess could be huge in match play.
12. Dustin Johnson: Johnson is a favorite at Kiawah Island, which may add pressure to perform in the PGA Championship.
13. Steve Stricker: Stricker was off last week but looks to build on his four consecutive top-25 finishes this week at the Bridgestone Invitational.
15. Jim Furyk: Since almost winning the U.S. Open, Furyk has struggled, missing two cuts in his past four events, including last week in Canada.
18. Scott Piercy: The RBC Canadian Open winner is suddenly there with an outside shot of cracking the top eight.