Port catches fire late, wins U.S. Senior Women's Am
- By Ryan Lavner
- Sep 13, 2012 3:52 PM ET
Ellen Port won five consecutive holes on the back nine Thursday to overcome an early deficit and defeat Jane Fitzgerald, 4 and 3, in the finals of the U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur.
Port, 50, of St. Louis, became only the second woman to win both the Mid-Amateur and Senior Amateur titles in her career. A four-time U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur champion (including in 2011), Port is now the 10th player to win five USGA women’s championships.
Port was 1 down after 10 holes at Hershey (Pa.) Country Club, but then rattled off wins at Nos. 11-15 to stun Fitzgerald and close out the match.
Tags: US Senior Womens Amateur
Medalist Lisa Schlesinger and defending champion Mina Hardin advanced to the second round of match play at the U.S. Golf Association Senior Women’s Amateur on Monday. Read More
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth