Port catches fire late, wins U.S. Senior Women's Am
- By Ryan Lavner
- Sep 13, 2012 3:52 PM ET
Ellen Port won five consecutive holes on the back nine Thursday to overcome an early deficit and defeat Jane Fitzgerald, 4 and 3, in the finals of the U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur.
Port, 50, of St. Louis, became only the second woman to win both the Mid-Amateur and Senior Amateur titles in her career. A four-time U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur champion (including in 2011), Port is now the 10th player to win five USGA women’s championships.
Port was 1 down after 10 holes at Hershey (Pa.) Country Club, but then rattled off wins at Nos. 11-15 to stun Fitzgerald and close out the match.
Tags: US Senior Womens Amateur
Medalist Lisa Schlesinger and defending champion Mina Hardin advanced to the second round of match play at the U.S. Golf Association Senior Women’s Amateur on Monday. Read More
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Senior PGA Championship
- SCORING: Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA Bahamas
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Overton DQ'd for using putting aid | Clark in mix
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots