Quarterfinal predictions for the WGC-Accenture Match Play
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Feb 23, 2013 2:55 PM ET
MARANA, Ariz. – The quarterfinals of the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship get under way Saturday at The Ritz Carlton Golf Club Dove Mountain.
Jason Day def. Graeme McDowell
The line: The Australian got off to a slow start in his morning match against Bubba Watson but settled into a rhythm late and is putting as well as anyone this week.
Robert Garrigus def. Matt Kuchar
The line: Garrigus was pushed in his first match of the week but his power proved to be too much – his drive at the 15th traveled 339 yards and stopped 6 feet from the hole on the par 4.
Hunter Mahan def. Webb Simpson
The line: The defending champion should consider real estate adjacent the Dove Mountain layout. He hasn’t trailed in a match since the sixth hole in his opening-day bout vs. Zach Johnson . . . in 2012.
Ian Poulter def. Steve Stricker
The line: We’ve picked against Poulter for three rounds and we’ve lost. If every PGA Tour event were played with a match-play format we would be talking about the Englishman closing on Jack Nicklaus’ record of 18 majors.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- SCORING: Round 1 BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management