Pressel, Thompson playing for the first time
- By Randall Mell
- Mar 29, 2012 1:37 PM ET
RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. – South Florida phenoms Morgan Pressel and Lexi Thompson grew up crossing paths in the record books a lot but never on the golf course.
Boca Raton's Pressel, 23, and Coral Springs' Thompson, 17, are playing together for the first time in their lives. They have never even played a practice round together.
Thompson is off to the better start early at the Kraft Nabisco Championship. She hit her driver 52 yards past Pressel at the second and reached the par 5 in two, making a two-putt birdie. She was 1 under after seven holes. Pressel bogeyed the second, failing to escape a fairway bunker lip with her second shot and made bogey. She three-putted the fifth for bogey and is 2 over through seven.
Pressel became the youngest qualifier to make the U.S. Open at 13. Thompson broke the mark at 12. Pressel became the youngest winner of a major at 18 winning Kraft. Thompson became the youngest winner of any LPGA event at 16.
Pressel and Thompson grew up about 20 miles apart.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth