Pressel, Thompson playing for the first time
- By Randall Mell
- Mar 29, 2012 1:37 PM ET
RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. – South Florida phenoms Morgan Pressel and Lexi Thompson grew up crossing paths in the record books a lot but never on the golf course.
Boca Raton's Pressel, 23, and Coral Springs' Thompson, 17, are playing together for the first time in their lives. They have never even played a practice round together.
Thompson is off to the better start early at the Kraft Nabisco Championship. She hit her driver 52 yards past Pressel at the second and reached the par 5 in two, making a two-putt birdie. She was 1 under after seven holes. Pressel bogeyed the second, failing to escape a fairway bunker lip with her second shot and made bogey. She three-putted the fifth for bogey and is 2 over through seven.
Pressel became the youngest qualifier to make the U.S. Open at 13. Thompson broke the mark at 12. Pressel became the youngest winner of a major at 18 winning Kraft. Thompson became the youngest winner of any LPGA event at 16.
Pressel and Thompson grew up about 20 miles apart.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management