Officials for the Safeway Classic announced the long-standing LPGA event will return for the 2012 season. Safeway has renewed as sponsor for a 17th year after its contract expired in August after this year's event.
“We are thrilled to announce our dates for 2012.” said Tom Maletis, president of Tournament Golf Foundation. “We are enjoying tremendous momentum from this year’s tournament with record crowds and a great champion and we look forward to building on that between now and August.”
Tournament Golf Foundation, which operates the event, said it is still negotiating with host Pumpkin Ridge GC for a return in 2012.
The $1.5 million tournament will run Aug. 17-19.
Suzann Pettersen won the 2011 event, coming from nine shots back to start the final round to win a playoff over Na Yeon Choi.
Chella Choi shot her second straight 6-under 66 on Saturday to take a one-stroke lead over Jessica Korda and Anna Nordqvist, the Swede who broke the course record with an 11-under 61 in the third roun... Read More
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Byron Nelson final round
- SCORING: Bradley starts with lead | LPGA Mobile
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bradley leads Nelson by 1 | At a glance
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Chella Choi leads Mobile; Nordqvist fires 61
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- No. 1 Cal (11 wins) headlines 30-team NCAA field
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play