With his second victory in three weeks, Webb Simpson has made a rather dramatic move up the Official World Golf Ranking. After taking the Deutsche Bank Championship in a two-hole sudden-death playoff over Chez Reavie, Simpson moved to 14th.
Three weeks ago, Simpson was 55th entering the Greensboro event. His first career win moved him to 33rd with the latest triumph bumping him up another 13 spots after moving to 27th last week.
At the onset of the year, Simpson was 213th in the world.
Thomas Bjorn has been riding a similar winning streak on the other side of the pond, taking the Omega European Masters on Sunday for his second win in as many weeks and third on the year.
By beating Martin Kaymer, Rory McIlroy and Lee Westwood in Switzerland, the Great Dane is now 28th in the ranking. Bjorn entered the week at 59th following his win at Gleneagles in a five-man, five-hole playoff.
World No. 1 Luke Donald has expanded his lead over Westwood for the top spot on the back of his T-3 finish in Boston. Kaymer and McIlroy both moved up two spots as they passed Steve Stricker and Dustin Johnson, who had been third and fourth respectively. Phil Mickelson moved up a spot to eighth to remain in the top-10 while being leapfrogged by Aussie Jason Day for seventh.
Deutsche Bank Championship runner-up Chez Reavie made an enormous move, going from 169th to 81st. On the year, he has now improved his ranking by 677 positions.
Though not quite falling as precipitously as Reavie is moving up dramatically, Tiger Woods again slipped in the ranking. Woods dropped four spots to 42nd. In order to qualify for his Chevron World Challenge in December, Woods must finish inside the top-50 after the BMW Championship in two weeks.
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae