Following the PGA Championship on Aug. 12, eight players will automatically qualify for the U.S team, captained by Davis Love III. After the 112th U.S. Open, here are the top eight in the standings (with points earned and last week's position in the top eight in parentheses):
1. Jason Dufner (5,289.25; 2)
2. Bubba Watson (4,798.40; 1)
3. Webb Simpson (4,421.47; NR)
4. Phil Mickelson (4,107.11; 3)
5. Matt Kuchar (3,869.43; 4)
6. Hunter Mahan (3,537.37; 5)
7. Tiger Woods (3,499.41; 6)
8. Zach Johnson (3,313.26; 7)
Jason Dufner is the new No. 1 on the points list, unseating Bubba Watson. Webb Simpson cracked the top eight, forcing all other players down one spot. Keegan Bradley was bounced from the list.
Love also has four wild-card selections he will make in September. Here are some current notables:
9. Keegan Bradley: The reigning PGA champion did not have it this week in San Francisco but finished the tournament. He remains in a minor slump that began after Houston.
10. Rickie Fowler: Fowler found his way to the weekend at the U.S. Open, finishing T-41. A poor Friday round hurt his chances.
12. Steve Stricker: Stricker quietly finished T-15 with a pair of under-par rounds at Olympic.
13. Jim Furyk: Furyk had a chance to take his second U.S. Open but could not finish the job on Sunday. Nevertheless, Furyk had an outstanding week.