Starting the week at No. 128 in the FedEx Cup standings, Slocum tied for 31st at the Wyndham Championship to finish 124th in points and become the only player to move from outside to inside the FedEx Cup bubble during the regular-season finale.
Though Slocum played his final six holes Monday in 4 over par, it was enough to advance to The Barclays at Bethpage Black, which begins Thursday.
Interestingly, Slocum has been in this exact position before. In 2009, he was 124th in FedEx points after the regular season ended, but won the following week at The Barclays and eventually finished eighth.
“I think what I did last time (in 2009) kind of frees you up,” Slocum told reporters Monday. “You really have nothing to lose. I remember I went into that week just completely free, no expectations. I just went and played golf.
“It’s a lesson to be learned from. If I can execute, obviously a ‘W’ would be fantastic. But at this point, I’m just trying to get things back on track and get to playing the golf that I’ve been playing in my career and that I expected from myself.”
Not so fortunate was Jhonattan Vegas, who slipped from No. 124 to No. 126 – two points behind bubble-boy Jason Bohn – after missing the cut in Greensboro. Nos. 127-130, respectively: Y.E. Yang, Tim Herron, Bobby Gates and Brendan Steele.
Other notables who will miss the FedEx Cup playoffs: No. 131 Retief Goosen, No. 134 Gary Woodland, No. 135 Chris DiMarco, No. 137 Erik Compton, No. 139 Stewart Cink, No. 140 John Daly, No. 147 Justin Leonard and No. 148 Camilo Villegas.
The top-ranked teams in the country will be well-represented at this year's Palmer Cup, to be played in June. Read More
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process