Round 1 forecast: Snow showers and high winds
- By Rex Hoggard
- Feb 20, 2013 10:59 AM ET
MARANA, Ariz. – Here is a forecast you don’t see much at a golf tournament: “3 p.m. – Rain changing to snow showers. Temp 41 F. Winds: SW 20-30 gusting to 35 mph.”
That was what awaited the field on Wednesday at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship. Although the morning matches got underway without delay, the forecast of a winter storm warning meant it was going to be a long opening round at Dove Mountain, particularly for the top-seeded players.
According to the forecast snow, levels will start the day around 5,000 feet and drop to 2,800 feet (Dove Mountain ranges from 2,300 to 3,200 feet), and up to 2 inches could accumulate this afternoon.
We asked one caddie preparing for play on the practice tee early Wednesday how he prepares for snow. “You don’t,” the caddie said.
- LIVE STREAM: BMW PGA Championship, Round 3
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- F. Molinari leads BMW | McIlroy, McDowell MC
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots