Round 1 forecast: Snow showers and high winds
- By Rex Hoggard
- Feb 20, 2013 10:59 AM ET
MARANA, Ariz. – Here is a forecast you don’t see much at a golf tournament: “3 p.m. – Rain changing to snow showers. Temp 41 F. Winds: SW 20-30 gusting to 35 mph.”
That was what awaited the field on Wednesday at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship. Although the morning matches got underway without delay, the forecast of a winter storm warning meant it was going to be a long opening round at Dove Mountain, particularly for the top-seeded players.
According to the forecast snow, levels will start the day around 5,000 feet and drop to 2,800 feet (Dove Mountain ranges from 2,300 to 3,200 feet), and up to 2 inches could accumulate this afternoon.
We asked one caddie preparing for play on the practice tee early Wednesday how he prepares for snow. “You don’t,” the caddie said.
- LIVE STREAM: Senior PGA Championship, Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly