Sorenstam asked to reconsider role of 2013 Solheim Cup captain
- By Jay Coffin
- Feb 2, 2012 10:03 AM ET
ORLANDO, Fla. – Annika Sorenstam will be captain of the European Solheim Cup team when she wants to. Right now, the timing may not be right.
Sorenstam told “Morning Drive” Thursday that she’s been asked to captain the 2013 European team … twice. So far, the answer remains no.
“They’ve asked me to reconsider,” Sorenstam said during her weekly visit to Golf Channel’s morning show. “There’s a lot to do. I don’t know if I have the time to commit to the job."
Sorenstam and Jack Nicklaus are candidates to design the golf course for the 2016 Olympics, a decision which is expected Friday. If she and Nicklaus are selected, it would make it more difficult for Sorenstam to fulfill Solheim Cup captain’s duties.
Meg Mallon was named U.S. Solheim Cup captain last week and was asked who she’d like to see as her counterpart. Without hesitation Mallon named Liselotte Neumann, the 1988 U.S. Women’s Open champion, who Sorenstam lists as her idol while growing up in Sweden.
Sorenstam recalls vividly waking up the morning after Neumann’s victory and seeing newspapers plastered on the walls of a gas station near her home, all featuring Neumann. That inspired Sorenstam to take the game more seriously.
Captaining the European squad may not be in Sorenstam’s plans right now because of her hectic schedule, but it’s also difficult to imagine she’d take the job before Neumann, a veteran of six Solheim Cups.
Count Annika Sorenstam among the group glad to see Dottie Pepper named as an assistant captain for the 2013 U.S. Solheim Cup team. Read More
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process