Sorenstam fourth on ESPN list of female athletes
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jun 23, 2012 3:51 PM ET
Annika Sorenstam is No. 4 on a new list of the top 40 female athletes of the last 40 years.
"I'm honored to be in ESPN's top five of the top 40 female athletes of the past 40 (years)," Sorenstam tweeted Friday. "Let's celebrate Title IX!"
The list was compiled in recognition of the 40th anniversary of Title IX, which was signed into law by President Richard Nixon on June 23, 1972, as part of the Education Amendments of 1972. A portion of the law bars discrimination on the basis of gender in education and related activities.
A panel of journalists and women's sports experts cast votes to determine the list.
Sorenstam won 72 times in her LPGA career, including 10 major titles.
Mia Hamm (1), Martina Navratilova (2) and Jackie Joyner-Kersee (3) ranked ahead of Sorenstam.
Nancy Lopez was the only other golfer on the list, ranking 24th.
Tags: Annika Sorenstam
'Go Annika' Celebrates 10-Year Anniversary of Historic Moment When Annika Sorenstam Teed It Up Against The Men Of The PGA TOURby Golf Channel Public Relations | May 15, 2013 4:42 PM ET
Golf Channel Retrospective Airs Wednesday, May 22, at 9 p.m. ET, Features More Than 20 Interviews With People Connected to Story Read More
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management