Sorenstam 'delighted for Dottie' in her Solheim role
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Jul 5, 2012 10:43 AM ET
Count Annika Sorenstam among the group glad to see Dottie Pepper named as an assistant captain for the 2013 U.S. Solheim Cup team.
“I was delighted for Dottie,” Sorenstam said Thursday on “Morning Drive.” “She is such a large part of the Solheim Cup and she brings a lot of intensity.”
Sorenstam wasn’t always a fan of Pepper’s exuberance. During the 1998 matches, Sorenstam brought a blow-up, clown punching bag into the European team room and taped a picture of Pepper’s face on it.
Pepper’s fiery attitude led to her being cast aside in Solheim circles for five years, after making her infamous “choking, freaking dogs” comment in 2007. Despite past grievances – personal and otherwise – Sorenstam expressed pleasure in Pepper’s new role.
“I had a chance to speak to her,” Sorenstam said. “You could see the tears and how much it meant to her. I am so, so pleased for her.”
'Go Annika' Celebrates 10-Year Anniversary of Historic Moment When Annika Sorenstam Teed It Up Against The Men Of The PGA TOURby Golf Channel Public Relations | May 15, 2013 4:42 PM ET
Golf Channel Retrospective Airs Wednesday, May 22, at 9 p.m. ET, Features More Than 20 Interviews With People Connected to Story Read More
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invit., Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly