Sorenstam 'delighted for Dottie' in her Solheim role
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Jul 5, 2012 10:43 AM ET
Count Annika Sorenstam among the group glad to see Dottie Pepper named as an assistant captain for the 2013 U.S. Solheim Cup team.
“I was delighted for Dottie,” Sorenstam said Thursday on “Morning Drive.” “She is such a large part of the Solheim Cup and she brings a lot of intensity.”
Sorenstam wasn’t always a fan of Pepper’s exuberance. During the 1998 matches, Sorenstam brought a blow-up, clown punching bag into the European team room and taped a picture of Pepper’s face on it.
Pepper’s fiery attitude led to her being cast aside in Solheim circles for five years, after making her infamous “choking, freaking dogs” comment in 2007. Despite past grievances – personal and otherwise – Sorenstam expressed pleasure in Pepper’s new role.
“I had a chance to speak to her,” Sorenstam said. “You could see the tears and how much it meant to her. I am so, so pleased for her.”
'Go Annika' Celebrates 10-Year Anniversary of Historic Moment When Annika Sorenstam Teed It Up Against The Men Of The PGA TOURby Golf Channel Public Relations | May 15, 2013 4:42 PM ET
Golf Channel Retrospective Airs Wednesday, May 22, at 9 p.m. ET, Features More Than 20 Interviews With People Connected to Story Read More
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- SCORING: Bradley holding lead | Mobile Bay LPGA
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process