PALM HARBOR, Fla. – Shawn Stefani – pronounced Stephanie, no relation to Gwen – moved and grooved his way to the top of the Tampa Bay Championship leaderboard on Thursday with a 6-under 65 in his first ever competitive round at Innisbrook.
While the 31-year-old Houston resident welcomes the associations people make between his last name and that of Gwen Stefani, he’s more of a boot scootin’ boogie man than a "Hollaback Girl" ... or guy.
"I love George Straight," Stefani beamed when asked about one of his favorite artists. "He's coming to Houston, March 17th I think."
That's not to say he isn't familiar with No Doubt's former leading lady and her work.
"I have (listened to Gwen Stefani's music) in the past. More of a country guy. She doesn't make any music – or doesn't make as much music as she used to. I've got a few wedges that have a few stamps on them from the band, No Doubt and got another one that says 'Hollaback,' the song."
So there's a few people out here that call me Stefani and some people call me Gwen. Never been a big issue with it, but it's kind of fun."
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | In Memorial
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth