PALM HARBOR, Fla. – Shawn Stefani – pronounced Stephanie, no relation to Gwen – moved and grooved his way to the top of the Tampa Bay Championship leaderboard on Thursday with a 6-under 65 in his first ever competitive round at Innisbrook.
While the 31-year-old Houston resident welcomes the associations people make between his last name and that of Gwen Stefani, he’s more of a boot scootin’ boogie man than a "Hollaback Girl" ... or guy.
"I love George Straight," Stefani beamed when asked about one of his favorite artists. "He's coming to Houston, March 17th I think."
That's not to say he isn't familiar with No Doubt's former leading lady and her work.
"I have (listened to Gwen Stefani's music) in the past. More of a country guy. She doesn't make any music – or doesn't make as much music as she used to. I've got a few wedges that have a few stamps on them from the band, No Doubt and got another one that says 'Hollaback,' the song."
So there's a few people out here that call me Stefani and some people call me Gwen. Never been a big issue with it, but it's kind of fun."
- LIVE STREAM: Sr. PGA Championship, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Donald's three-peat BMW PGA bid ends with MC
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots