Sterne earns Match Play berth with Joburg title
- By Ryan Lavner
- Feb 10, 2013 8:59 AM ET
Richard Sterne picked an ideal time to snap a four-year winless drought.
With his seven-shot victory at the Joburg Open, Sterne is expected to move into the top 60 when the latest world rankings are released Monday, making him eligible for the 64-man WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship regardless of what transpires Sunday at Pebble Beach.
Sterne, 31, last played in the Match Play in 2009, and the tournament seemed a pipe dream only two months ago, when he sat 155th in the rankings. His victory Sunday was his first since the 2009 South African Open.
“It’s a big year for me hopefully, especially after such a nice start,” he told reporters afterward. “I hope to get back into the majors – that’s where I want to be playing and competing on that stage.”
In South Africa, Sterne shot 63-65-68-64 for a comfortable, wire-to-wire victory over Charl Schwartzel and 27-under 260 total – a new tournament record and tied for second-best 72-hole score ever on the European circuit.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invit., Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- R. Palmer uses local knowledge in Colonial 62
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms Rory's BMW PGA opener
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation