Tampa field features Singh and Els, not McIlroy
- By Will Gray
- Mar 9, 2013 10:02 AM ET
With the release of the official field for next week's Tampa Bay Championship presented by Everbank, it appears that a decision has not yet been made on what punishment may be facing Vijay Singh over his admitted use of deer-antler spray.
The Fijian, who last teed it up on the PGA Tour at the Northern Trust Open last month, was listed among the entrants for next week's event at Innisbrook when they were officially released Friday afternoon. This would mark the third time Singh has teed it up since a Sports Illustrated report indicated the three-time major champ regularly used a spray containing IGF-1, a substance banned under the Tour's anti-doping policy.
A late addition to next week's field was reigning British Open champion Ernie Els, who last year missed a short putt on the 72nd hole that ultimately kept him out of a playoff. This event would mark the fifth straight week of competition on the PGA Tour for the South African, a stretch that could increase to six with the Arnold Palmer Invitational two weeks away.
One player not in next week's field is world No. 1 Rory McIlroy. During a press conference this week, the Ulsterman indicated he may consider playing in Tampa, but he ultimately decided against. McIlroy's lone scheduled start before The Masters continues to be the Shell Houston Open from March 28-31.
Tags: Tampa Bay Championship
Tampa winner Kevin Streelman made a huge move in the world ranking, while Tiger Woods can assume a familiar position this week. Read More
- LIVE STREAM: Watch LPGA come down to finish
- LPGA SCORING: Korda in Mobile mix late in Round 4
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae captures Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play