RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. – Some eye-catching themes can be found in the first- and second-round pairings come Thursday and Friday at the Kraft Nabisco Championship. Some highlights:
ZZ Top’s “Legs” special – Michelle Wie and Sandra Gal may be one of the tallest pairings in LPGA history. Wie is 6-feet-1, Gal 6-feet even. They go off the first tee at 3:38 p.m. ET.
Tough duty – Paula Creamer must have drawn the short straw, but she relishes the tough jobs, and she has the toughest keeping up in the first two rounds. Creamer will be paired with world No. 1 Yani Tseng, winner of nine of the last 19 LPGA events. They go off the first tee Thursday at 3:54 p.m. ET.
South Florida phenom’s delight – Boca Raton’s Morgan Pressel was 13 when she became the youngest qualifier to play in a U.S. Women’s Open. Coral Springs’ Lexi Thompson broke the mark, making it at 12. Pressel was 18 when she became the youngest winner of an LPGA major. Thompson was 16 when she became the youngest winner of any LPGA event. There must be something in the water in those neighboring communities. Pressel is 23 today, Thompson 17. They grew up about 20 miles apart. They’ll go off the first tee together Thursday at 11:28 a.m. ET
Intensity times two – Karrie Webb and Cristie Kerr can be two of the most intense competitors on tour. No open flames allowed around these players when they’re grinding. They go off the first tee together Thursday at 11:36 a.m. ET
Blondes have more fun – We’ll see about that with defending champion Stacy Lewis teamed with Natalie Gulbis. They go off the first tee together Thursday at 3:46 p.m. ET
South Korean showdown – Na Yeon Choi, the world No. 2, and So Yeon Ryu, the reigning U.S. Women’s Open champ, square off in an intriguing early matchup. They go off the 10th tee together Thursday at 3:38 p.m. ET.
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae