Take a look at these stats:
Martin Kaymer’s worldwide results since the 2010 Open Championship
Top 10s: 6
World Rank 7/11/10: 13th
World Rank 1/23/11: 2nd
Despite the complexities of the Official World Golf Ranking, it seems to have its formula right as Martin Kaymer continues to rise. Only Lee Westwood sits in front of him, and Westy must get his game back in shape quickly as the 26-year-old German bested him by 26 shots at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship.
Kaymer not only whipped Westwood, he was eight shots ahead of Rory McIlroy who finished second. McIlroy’s fellow Ulsterman Graeme McDowell continued his stellar play as well in the desert, tying for third alongside Retief Goosen who carded a 64 on Sunday.
G-Mac’s tie for third is his fourth top-5 in his last five worldwide starts, which includes his playoff victory over Tiger Woods at the Chevron World Challenge in December. Kaymer and McDowell now sandwich Woods in the rankings.
And I bet a year ago you would have never imagined that to be the case.
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots