When asked Monday whether he had felt compelled to call Garcia and defuse the situation, Woods replied simply: “No.”
Then he smiled.
Woods was in Bethesda, Md., to promote the upcoming AT&T National, where he is the defending champion. Later, he told USA Today: “Obviously, the matter has been put behind me. The truth came out. As I was saying the entire time, I told people what I had heard and what had happened.”
If only it had been that simple.
The war of words between Woods and Garcia began during the third round of The Players. Garcia claimed that Woods, about 50 yards away and surrounded by fans, distracted him while he tried to play his second shot into the par-5 second hole. Woods said later that he was told by a marshal that Garcia had already hit.
Back and forth they went in the media, with one notable remark from Garcia, who described Woods as “not the nicest guy on Tour.”
The story stayed in the news for a few more days, however, after a Sports Illustrated report that Woods had not been given the OK by marshals. Two days later, the Florida Times-Union reported that there had been a miscommunication and two different marshals exonerated Woods.